Quinn to ask NFL again about no calls for Julio Jones

For the second week in a row Falcons coach Dan Quinn plans to ask NFL officials about the lack of penalties called against defenders for contact against wide receiver Julio Jones.

“He’s a big, physical player and there is a lot of contact that happens near him,” Quinn said Monday. “But as far as why on certain ones (there is no call), that will be something I will discuss with the league. I don’t have an answer for why there is not more fouls.”

Quinn talked to league officials last week after a non-call against Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman for pulling Jones down ended the Falcons’ final drive. Quinn did not divulge what NFL officials told him about the play.

Quinn has another controversial non-call involving Jones to discuss with the NFL after the Falcons lost 33-30 to the Chargers in overtime on Sunday

Chargers cornerback Steve Williams appeared to grab Jones and pull down his left arm as Jones attempted to jump for Matt Ryan’s pass. Jones had a 10-yard reception on the next play to set up kicker Matt Bryant’s missed 57-yard field-goal attempt that glanced off of the left upright.

After the game, Jones said a game official told him he didn’t throw a flag because the pass couldn’t be caught and thus the contact was allowable. Jones said he managed to get a hand on the ball even with Williams pulling on him.

Jones typically doesn’t show frustration with calls by officials but he threw up his arms following that play.

“He’s used to the noise or the contact that happens and the style that he plays in,” Quinn said. “Let’s face it, a lot of people want to play him aggressive (and) not just with one player. He deserves that kind of attention. As far as the fouls go, we are not going to rely on anyone else to make the calls for us.”