The Braves are reportedly among four teams still in the hunt for the 34-year-old Donaldson, with reports now suggest the onetime AL MVP is seeking a four-year, $110 million deal.
The $27.5 million annual asking price would make Donaldson the third-best paid player at the position:
1. Nolan Arenado, Colorado: $35 million
2. Manny Machado, San Diego: $32 million
3. Anthony Rendon, Anaheim: $26.07 million
4. Justin Turner, Los Angeles: $20 million
5. Kyle Seager, Seattle: $19.5 million
On the Braves, Donaldson would be the team's highest-paid player (before arbitration settlements) in 2020:
1. Freddie Freeman, 1B: $22 million
2. Cole Hamels, SP: $18 million
3. Mark Melancon, RP: $14 million
4. Will Smith, RP: $13 million
5. Travis d'Arnaud, C: $8 million
Atlanta has already spent nearly $100 million on seven players.
So what should the Braves do?