Five quick things to know about the Braves on Friday:
- Riley remains hot: Austin Riley’s grand slam Wednesday was his seventh home run in 14 games with the Braves. Riley is now batting .375 with 20 RBI and the seven home runs.
- Back after a day of rest: After being hammered 14-4 in Wednesday’s loss to the Nationals - their second loss in as many days against their NL East rival - the Braves had the day off Thursday.
- Detroit comes to town: The Braves will host the Tigers in a weekend series at SunTrust Park (Friday, 7:20 p.m.; Saturday, 4:10 p.m.; Sunday, 1:20 p.m.)
- Fried among NL’s top pitchers: Lefthander Max Fried (7-3) is tied for first in the National League with seven wins and his 3.19 earned-run average is tied for 13th best in the league.
- Today in Braves history: Chipper Jones went 3-for-4, including a home run, as the Braves defeated the Diamondbacks and 24-year-old starting pitcher Max Scherzer 9-3 in Arizona on May 31, 2009.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.