A Kansas woman may have taken her fear of spiders too far on Friday.
Fire crews told The Hutchinson News that Ginny M. Griffith, 34, was charged with aggravated arson after lighting a fire in order to kill a spider.
The woman told officers she used a cigarette lighter in order to ignite some towels on fire, and burn the spider. Instead, Griffith ended up lighting her duplex on fire.
Crews found multiple points of origin for the fire, which they quickly put out. They say the duplex really only suffered smoke damage.
No word on if the spider made it out safely.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.