Parents accused of starving 10-year-old girl enter not guilty pleas

The father and stepmother of a 10-year-old girl who allegedly died at their hands appeared in a Gwinnett County court Friday.

Emani Moss was found dead, her body burned, in a dumpster the morning of Nov. 2, police said. Her father, Eman Moss, and her stepmother, Tiffany Moss, have been charged in connection with the death and with trying to hide the body.

In court Friday, the attorneys for both adults entered not guilty pleas for their clients, according to Channel 2 Action News.

“It was hard sitting there today and seeing him because what I see is my little boy,” Robin Moss, Eman Moss’ mother told Channel 2.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the case, and that alone may cause things to progress slowly.

“The facts of this case constitute torture of the victim, and therefore deserves the death penalty,” Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution earlier this year.

The TV station said a decision could be reached soon on where the couple’s two remaining children should live. Both kids are currently in a foster home and a juvenile judge will hear testimony next week on the future placement of the children.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.