Caption

Woman, 2 kittens rescued from burning Gwinnett home 

A woman was rescued from the second floor of a burning Gwinnett County home Tuesday night, then firefighters went back in for two kittens.

The woman, the cats and two other adults in the home all made it out safely, Gwinnett fire officials said, but the home is extensively damaged. It took three crews to get the blaze under control.

The first two crews were called to the home in the 3700 block of Pine Village Place near Loganville about 8:45 p.m. When they arrived, they met with two people who said a third was trapped on the second floor, fire department spokesman Donald Strother said. 

“Firefighters immediately went into an offensive mode with rescue being their priority,” Strother said in a news release. “One crew assisted a victim that was in the process of evacuation on the first floor.”

Fire crews used a ladder to help a woman hanging out a second-story window to escape a house fire on Pine Village Place near Loganville. (Photo: Gwinnett County Fire Department)

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Michelle Obama headlining State Farm Arena May 11, 2019
  2. 2 Gwinnett police: Driver leaves one I-85 crash, dies in another
  3. 3 Woman killed in hit-and-run at Gwinnett County gas station

The woman trapped upstairs tried to escape by hanging out a second-story window on the back side of the house, he said. A second crew used a ladder to help her down. The kittens were also rescued during the first two searches of the home.

The third arriving crew focused on battling the blaze, Strother said.  

“Firefighters were met with heavy fire but were able to get it knocked down within six minutes of their arrival,” he said.

All three people were taken to an area hospital to be checked out for smoke inhalation, but they are expected to be OK.

After an investigation, officials said it appears a candle burning in the front room may have been the cause of the fire.

In other news: 

More from AJC