Mall of Georgia restaurant, stores evacuated after fire breaks out

A pizzeria and four stores at the Mall of Georgia were temporarily evacuated after a fire was discovered in the restaurant’s ventilation system.

Smoke was seen coming from the roof of Alino Pizzeria Forno shortly before 12:45 p.m. Friday. Customers were evacuated from the restaurant, as well as Loft, Chico’s, Mall of Georgia Rugs and Lizard’s Thicket. The stores re-opened within an hour.


After fire crews arrived, they discovered a fire in a ventilation pipe connected to a pizza oven, according to Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. It was extinguished using a hose and a dry chemical extinguisher, according to a department release.

The fire caused moderate damage to the vent system, and an exhaust motor on the roof was melted. The fire did not go beyond the vent, the department said. No injuries were reported.


Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Stay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning


In other news: