Cooking apparently can be deadly, especially when one of the ingredients can, and does, fight back.
A chef who was mixing up a spitting cobra soup dish was killed with the decapitated head from the snake bit him - 20 minutes after it was removed from the snake's body, the Mirror reported.
The chef had already made and served it, when he went to throw the head into the garbage. That's when it bit him, injecting him with fast acting venom.
The Mirror reported the chef died before he was able to get anti-venom in a hospital.
Restaurant patrons said they could hear screams coming from the kitchen, the Daily Mail reported.
After they found out that the chef had died, they had decided not to finish the meal, the Daily Mail reported.
A snake expert was quoted in the Daily Mail as saying that reptiles can function for up to an hour after being "killed." And that it is actually dead since basic body functions have stopped, but there are still reflexive actions during that time.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.