The shooting investigation shut down all southbound lanes for hours.

Victim ID’d in deadly I-285 shooting that caused massive jam

Police shut down I-285 South in northwest Atlanta for several hours Dec. 4 after a man was shot and killed on the interstate.

The man was found in a vehicle on the shoulder near Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway when officers responded to a “person shot call” about 4 p.m., according to Atlanta police.

The victim had been fatally shot in the chest. He was identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office as 51-year-old Oswald Cunningham of Atlanta. 

The suspected shooter stayed at the scene and was found by police in another vehicle. That person was taken into custody but was not charged, police confirmed Tuesday.

A day after the shooting, a police spokesman said they were not releasing the name of the suspected shooter “while our investigators look into possible connections with other crimes.” No other information, including a possible motive, was released. 

The investigation remained open Tuesday, police said.

All southbound lanes were shut down while investigators were on scene. Traffic finally began to move about 6:30 p.m., but by that point, delays stretched about 15 miles to Ga. 400, according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center.


 

Delays lingered throughout the evening commute and late into the night. 

— Staff writer Chelsea Prince contributed to this article.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.