Police still asking ‘who fired the fatal shot’ in killing after Clayton County graduation

It’s been nearly three weeks since a 40-year-old woman was fatally shot outside a Clayton County high school graduation, and investigators have not charged anyone in her death.

Latosha Franklin, 40, was caught in the crossfire when two groups began shooting May 18 in the parking lot of Mt. Zion High School. The area was being used as overflow parking for the graduation for Perry Career Academy, an alternative high school in Jonesboro.

NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal paid for Franklin’s funeral. 

Related: Shaq pays for funeral of woman killed after high school graduation

Clayton County police have made two arrests in the case, but police spokeswoman Sgt. Ashanti Marbury told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday that neither are charged in connection with Franklin’s slaying.

RELATED: 2 arrested in shooting near Clayton County school after graduation

“Investigators are still attempting to determine who fired the fatal shot,” Marbury said. “The investigation into this is still ongoing.”

Jason Uriah McCray, 19, of Jonesboro, is being held in the county jail without bond on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon at a school function or on school property. 

Shaela Chatman, 21, of Riverdale, faces two school weapons charges for allegedly carrying two guns as well as theft by receiving stolen property. Marbury said one of the guns was stolen. Chatman was released from jail on a $50,000 bond.

Clayton County police have made two arrests in the case, but neither are charged in connection with the woman’s slaying. (Credit: Channel 2 Action News)

Franklin was one of two women shot when the graduation ended. The incident was not related to the graduation or the high school, the school district said. 

She was shot in the upper left shoulder and taken to Southern Regional Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, according to a police report. 

The other woman, who has not been identified, was shot in the leg and survived. Channel 2 Action News reported she is 21 years old.

A third woman, who was 36 weeks pregnant, was thrown to the ground in the commotion but was not seriously injured, according to Channel 2.

In other news: 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.