Here are five things to know about the Hawks this week:
1. Paul Millsap and his charitable foundation will provide new backpacks and school supplies for the entire student body of the soon-to-be-opened M.R. Hollis Innovation Academy in Atlanta. The supplies will be delivered on Monday at the inaugural open house ahead of the first day of school on Wednesday.
“Education has always been of significant importance to me and my family,” Millsap said. “I’m thankful that through my foundation I can provide much-needed supplies to children as they start school and some relief to parents who have a hard time making ends meet.”
2. Kent Bazemore will hold three fundraisers for his ARMS Foundation this week. He will host a bowling tournament on Saturday from noon-4:30 p.m. at Painted Pin in Atlanta. He will host an Uno tournament on Sunday from 7-10 p.m. at the Fernbank Museum. He is also hosting a golf tournament on Monday at the Druid Hills Golf Club. More information on the events can be found at www.armsfoundation.org.
3. More details on the Hawks preseason schedule are likely to be released this week. In details from already released opponents’ schedules, the Hawks will play at the Grizzlies on Oct. 6 and versus the Bulls in Omaha on Oct. 20.
4. Tiago Splitter will begin is Olympic basketball broadcasting assignment in his native Brazil this weekend. Group play begins on Saturday. Splitter will serve as an analyst for Brazil’s Globo TV. Splitter previously worked on the Hawks’ Spanish-language radio station broadcast after being sideline with a hip injury during the season.
5. Jarrett Jack, who signed with the Hawks this summer, is expected to arrive in Atlanta this week.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.