The Sandy Springs Fire Department has some tips to stay safe when lighting your fireplace.
Photo: Sandy Springs Fire Department
Photo: Sandy Springs Fire Department

Want to light your fireplace this winter? Sandy Springs Fire has tips.

Come winter, there’s not much better than sipping something by a fireplace to fight the chill outside.

But, as always, if you’re going to play with fire you might get burned.

That’s why the Sandy Springs Fire Department recently posted some tips on its Facebook page to help people stay safe:


FROM 2014 | Make sure you protect your chimney


• Have a professional chimney service inspect and clean your set-up

• Open the damper on the flue before lighting your fire.

• Burn only wood or manufactured logs. “Tempting as it may be, glossy wrapping paper, bows and foam peanuts release toxic fumes,” the fire department said.

• Clear the area around your fireplace

• Never leave a fire in your fireplace unattended. “The fire should go out before you do,” the department said.

• Install a carbon monoxide detector.

• Have a fire extinguisher handy just in case


In Sandy Springs news...

READ | Welcome to Sandy Springs: What’s your license plate? City gets 99 cams

READ | Developer pitches Sandy Springs hotel, beer garden by Mercedes-Benz HQ

READ | Sandy Springs talks affordable housing and Atlanta Beltline


It’s not just adults who are mesmerized by a good fire. Keeping children safe around a fire is important. Here’s a selection of tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

• If your gas fireplace is controlled by a wall switch, use a gate or cover the switch so children don’t turn on the gas or fireplace.

• Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, still check for animal nests or anything else that could prevent smoke from escaping.

• Safety screens can reduce a child’s risk of burns.

• Keep fireplace tools and accessories, including lighters and matches, out of a child's reach.

If you do all that, then this could be you and yours. Stay safe, stay warm.


Like North Fulton County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter


Fire officials say the flames have been knocked down, but there is extensive damage to the units in the building.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X