Neighbors alert residents to house fire

Firefighters credit the awareness of neighbors with preventing injuries in a house fire that broke out Wednesday in the 200 block of Willow Cove Court in Lawrenceville.

Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the house around 1 p.m. and knocked on the door to alert the occupants. A blaze that started in a garage extended into the kitchen and caused extensive smoke damage throughout the house.

Three brothers between the ages of 17 and 24 and two of their female friends who were inside escaped unharmed, said Gwinnett fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge. Rutledge said the fire appeared accidental.