Mom, daughters rescued from burning house near fire station

Atlanta firefighters didn't have to go far to rescue a mother and her two daughters from a burning house early Tuesday.

A fire broke out at 1:10 a.m. in a two-story, wood frame house at 1030 Joseph E. Boone Blvd. -- two doors from Fire Station 16 in northwest Atlanta.

When firefighters arrived at 1:13 a.m., "they could hear someone inside crying," Fire Capt. Jolyon Bundrige said. "They kicked in the front door and found three people inside suffering from smoke inhalation."

The mother was found semiconscious, and her daughters, ages 20 and 10, were unconscious, officials said. Firefighters carried them out and paramedics rushed them to Grady Memorial Hospital.

All three are in stable condition, Bundrige said.

Firefighters contained the blaze to one room. Investigators determined the fire started with "a space heater being too close to combustibles," the fire department said in a press release.

At 5 p.m. Tuesday, firefighters will canvass the neighborhood distributing and installing smoke detectors where needed.

"It's essential that all residents exercise extreme caution when utilizing heating appliances, and they should regularly test their smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly," Fire Chief Kelvin Cochran said.