Gwinnett firefighters are saying what they believed to have been a lightning strike was not the case.
Tuesday afternoon firefighters smelled smoke inside the attic of a home on John Landings Way in Lawrenceville.
Officials originally thought the cause was lightning but later determined the cause to be a light blast of a light fixture that shorted out and caused the haze of smoke.
Firefighters did find a a number of small fires inside a home on Pine Road in Dacula.
According to officials, lightning traveled into the home via the electrical wiring and sparked a fire in three separate areas near electrical outlets.
According to the National Weather Service, a series of pop-up thunderstorms hit the Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb and Gwinnett areas Tuesday morning.
The storms began around 10:30 a.m. and brought heavy rain and lightning, said Mike Leary, weather service forecaster. They hit their peak around 1 p.m. in the Northside, moving east, and began to taper off around 4 p.m.
An occupant was in the home at the time of the incident. The fires were quickly extinguished.
No injuries have been reported in either incident.
There is a 30 percent chance of scattered pop-up thunderstorms including heavy rain and lightning throughout the metro area, according to the National Weather Service. The storms are expected to move rather quickly through the area.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.