Caption

Cobb man describes how he saved neighbor from condo fire

Ward Pearce was about to leave home for an errand Friday afternoon when his 11-year-old son heard an alarm.

Pearce went outside to check only to find neighbors calling 911 and hollering about an elderly woman who uses a walker stuck inside her smoke-filled condo.

Cobb County firefighters said a cigarette possibly caused the fire about 2 p.m. in the condo, which is near the Cochran Shoals Trail by the Chattahoochee River.


READCobb fire: Small grease fire catches in smoking pit of barbecue joint

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Live updating: Georgia governor's race is still unsettled
  2. 2 Court orders buoy Abrams as Georgia counties race to certify results
  3. 3 Amazon makes it official: new HQ operations for NYC and D.C. areas

Pearce, the 49-year-old mortgage underwriter, said a neighbor handed him a rock and he chucked it at the sliding glass door.

Thud.

The glass didn’t break. So he threw it again, and harder. The rock smashed through and he went in.

“The smoke was so thick I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face,” he said.

A Cobb County woman was pulled from her flaming condo by a neighbor Friday, July 20, 2018. (Cobb County Fire & Emergency Services Facebook page)

Pearce heard her shouting — “I’m here, I’m here.”

He went back outside, overwhelmed by the smoke.

So he worked in stages: He went back in, opened the dead-bolted front door to clear the smoke and then back outside for a breather before grabbing the woman in bear hug and dragging her out.

“Knowing that she was in there,” he said, “(I) had to get her out.”

Pearce said the community’s management sent note to residents Monday saying the woman was still on a ventilator.

When he went back home that day, Pearce remembered his son greeting him with: “Dad, you saved her life. You’re a hero.”

“That was a great moment right there,” he said.


Like Cobb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter


In other news...

A puppy died in the fire, but the rest of the family wasn't home at the time.

More from AJC