Since a fire led to the collapse of a segment of I-85 in Buckhead March 30, the Georgia Department of Transportation has scrambled to reopen the vital stretch of highway into the heart of Atlanta. Here’s the latest construction update on a project that affects hundreds of thousands of commuters.
The work: Contractor C.W. Matthews is rebuilding 350 feet of northbound and 350 feet of southbound lanes on I-85. GDOT has set a target completion date of June 15, but has provided financial incentives for the company to finish by May 21 or May 25.
What’s done: The contractor completed demolition of the old bridge and began building a new one within a few days of its collapse. One of the first steps was shoring up the existing 13 bridge columns; that work was completed last week.
What’s the latest: GDOT Construction Director Marc Mastronardi said 20 of the 61 beams needed to support the bridge deck should be in place by Monday night.
What’s next: The remaining bridge beams should be delivered by early next week. Mastronardi said GDOT’s target completion date of June 15 remains “very achievable.”
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.