Malfunction at Kennesaw chemical lab forces evacuation; no injuries

Cobb County fire officials evacuated a chemical laboratory after smoke was reported in the building Tuesday afternoon.

The hazmat situation at Chemlink Laboratories in the 3900 block of Royal Drive in Kennesaw, near Jiles Road and Cherokee Street, started as a result of a chemical reaction that created a smoldering fire, Channel 2 Action News reported.

No injuries were reported.

“The substance was sodium percarbonate,” Cobb fire spokesman Dan Dupree told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “This company produced a product that is similar to the product used to clean front-loader washing machines.”

A malfunction in the process caused a sprinkler head to activate, which then diluted the product, Dupree said.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Four years ago: DeKalb mom charged in house fire that killed her kids
  2. 2 King Birth Home sold to focus more on the civil rights leaders works
  3. 3 Former Falcons star Bill Fralic dies at 56 

Chemlink Laboratories specializes in transforming liquid chemistry into effervescent powders and tablets, according to its website.

“We are a product development and manufacturing company that works with you to create effective, efficient and environmentally sound solutions,” the company says.

A cleanup company hired by Chemlink was called in to remediate the diluted product, Dupree said. 

In other news:

More from AJC