A man who pleaded guilty to four Roswell rapes and then withdrew that plea earlier this month has been indicted on another rape charge in Gwinnett County.
Errol Alejandro Martinez, 25, was indicted for an alleged 2014 rape, kidnapping, assault and robbery. A grand jury returned the indictment on Nov. 15. This indictment represents one of two rapes Martinez is charged with in Norcross.
This is the sixth rape with which Martinez has been charged. In the four Roswell cases, Martinez ambushed the women, beat them and verbally threatened them before sexually assaulting them, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said previously. In three of the Roswell cases, Martinez broke into the women’s homes, Howard said.
When Martinez was arrested in 2016, he confessed to the rapes in Roswell and Norcross, saying “he had been into so many homes that he can’t remember them all,” according to Roswell police spokeswoman Lisa Holland. Martinez also told police that he attacked the women in “bizarre” ways to make their stories seem outlandish and less believable, Holland said previously.
Martinez pleaded guilty to the Roswell charges at a Nov. 8 hearing, but then changed his mind and withdrew the plea, meaning he will stand trial. It is rare for a judge to allow a defendant to do that, according to Atlanta defense attorney Ashleigh Merchant, who does not represent Martinez.
If Martinez had not withdrawn the plea, he would have been sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. A trial has not yet been scheduled. He remains in the Fulton County Jail without bond.
Stay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.