The Atlanta schools that are now eligible for potential state takeover are Fain Elementary School and Miles Intermediate School. Both saw improvements in their state ratings this year, but still scored low enough to be at list of takeover.
Atlanta’s performance at elementary, middle and high school are all below the state averages.
And in Atlanta, as in many cities, there’s a stark economic and racial divide between the highest and lowest performing schools: At all but one of Atlanta’s highest rated schools — Early College High School at Carver — less than a fifth of students are low-income. At the lowest rated schools, nearly all students are low-income.
Highest rated schools in Atlanta:
- Early College High School at Carver
- Morningside Elementary School
- Jackson Elementary School
- Springdale Park Elementary School
- Brandon Elementary School
Lowest rated schools in Atlanta:
- Kimberly Elementary School
- Bethune Elementary School
- Harper-Archer Middle School
- Intown Charter Academy (now closed)
- Boyd Elementary School