The average base presidential pay in the Georgia system will now be $332,475. Nationally, the 25 highest-compensated public college presidents had base salaries of $694,571, the Chronicle of Higher Education reported in December.
System spokeswoman Jen Ryan said in a statement: “The University System of Georgia competes nationally to recruit and retain top talent in every facet of its institutions, from our classrooms to our research laboratories to our programs and partnerships. Excellence in these fields requires strong leadership, and we are determined to attract and keep the best and brightest. These limited merit increases for our presidents are part of that effort, and we are proud of their hard work and dedication.”
Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 presidential compensation packages:
1) Georgia Tech President G.P. “Bud” Peterson, $1,135,710.27
2) Georgia State University President Mark Becker, $1,129,002.90
3) University of Georgia President Jere Morehead, $911,729.57
4) Augusta University President Brooks Keel, $899,300.66
5) Kennesaw State University President Pamela Whitten, $493,876
6) Georgia Southern University President Kyle Marrero, $440,000
7) Fort Valley State University President Paul A. Jones, $354,326.02
8) Valdosta State University President Richard A. Carvajal, $347,194.80
9) Columbus State University President Christopher Markwood, $341,916.89
10) Middle Georgia State University President Christopher Blake, $340,009.83
Source: University System of Georgia.