Authorities in Connecticut say they’ll probably dismiss a criminal charge against the co-founder of the popular science fiction convention DragonCon for allegedly having inappropriate contact with a 14-year-old boy.
Kevin Russo, a criminal prosecutor for the state of Connecticut, said Monday that the case against Edward Kramer has been stayed for 13 months, and will probably dismissed at the end of that time. Kramer was arrested in Milford, Conn., in September 2011 on a felony charge of risk of injury to a child. Police there said he had been caught staying in a motel room with a 14-year-old boy — a violation of the conditions of his bond in Georgia.
Kramer was extradited back to Gwinnett County in January, where he is accused of sexually abusing three teenage boys. Russo said it didn’t make sense for authorities in Connecticut to pursue a conviction for Kramer when he faces far more serious charges in Georgia.
“He has a much bigger case down south,” Russo said. “And it would also be impractical for us to get him back up here. The mechanics involved in prisoner transport are so cost-prohibitive compared to the prosecution that we didn’t feel it would be worthwhile.”
Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter has made a motion to put Kramer’s case back on the trial calendar, but no new hearings are currently scheduled in the case.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.