Jake Horne (left) died Thursday, one day after he was shot in the head. Investigators say the 21-year-old Marietta man was doing electrical work at an east Cobb home owned by Larry Epstein (right) when Epstein produced a gun and shot Horne and his boss.

Contractor, 21, dies after double shooting at east Cobb home

One of the two electrical contractors shot Wednesday afternoon while working at an east Cobb County home has died, police said.

Jake Horne, 21, of Marietta, died Thursday, one day after he was allegedly shot in the head by the owner of the home where he was working, Cobb police spokesman Officer Neil Penirelli said. 

Horne’s boss, 37-year-old Gordon Montcalm of Buchanan, was also shot. He is at WellStar Kennestone Hospital in serious condition, authorities said.

Homeowner Larry Epstein, 68, is accused of shooting both men as they tried to leave his house after completing their work day. 

Epstein was arrested on two counts each of aggravated assault and aggravated battery. He was being held without bond Thursday in the Cobb County jail. 

Investigators said they are working with the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office to upgrade the charges against him since Horne died.


Police were called to the upscale home along Wellington Lane just before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when a neighbor called 911 to report gunshots.

Investigators say a dispute between Epstein and the two electrical workers led to the shooting.

According to an arrest warrant obtained Thursday by AJC.com, Horne was shot in the head and Montcalm was shot in the face, neck and arm. Detectives allege Epstein shot with the intent to kill.

One of the men was found inside the home and another was found outside, Penirelli said.

Epstein and a witness were taken into custody shortly after SWAT units were deployed to the neighborhood off Johnson Ferry Road, just north of Sewell Mill Road. Neighbors were asked to stay inside their homes until police gave the all-clear, Channel 2 Action News reported.

A Cobb schools spokesman said the situation did not affect schools in the area. The large police presence caused major traffic delays on Johnson Ferry Road.


Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.