Conyers man dies after fall at Turner Field

caption arrowCaption
Man dies after fall from upper deck at Turner Field

Witnesses told police no one was standing near a Rockdale County man when he fell 85 feet to his death at Turner Field, investigators said Tuesday.

Ronald Lee Homer, 30, of Conyers, landed in the players’ parking lot outside of the stadium when he fell from the fourth level around 8:30 Monday night, Atlanta police said.

“Atlanta Braves event EMS arrived on scene to an unconscious, unalert, not breathing Mr. Homer,” the police report, obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, states.

Paramedics administered CPR on Homer, who was transported to Atlanta Medical Center, where he later died, Officer John Chafee with Atlanta police said.

The cause of death was blunt force trauma, the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office said Tuesday. Routine toxicology tests were conducted, but the results of those will not be known for several weeks.

“At this time, there is no indication of foul play and the fall appears accidental,” Chafee said in an emailed statement.

Investigators remained at the scene late Monday trying to determine what led to the fall. There are not surveillance cameras in the area, police said Tuesday.

The start of Monday night’s game vs. the Phillies was delayed due to rain, and the game started just prior to the man’s fall, shortly before 9 p.m.

The death is believed to be the second fatal fall at the stadium and the third at a major sports facility in the city.

In May 2008, a spectator died after falling 150 feet inside Turner Field. Justin Hayes, 25, of Cumming, fell from the upper deck concourse to the field level concourse behind home plate.

Last year, a college football fan fell 45 feet to his death at the Georgia Dome. On Aug. 31, Isaac Grubb, 20, of Lenoir City, Tenn., fell during the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game between Tennessee and North Carolina State, Georgia World Congress Center Authority officials previously said.

Grubb, who suffered head trauma, died after being transported to the hospital. His death was ruled accidental.

— Staff writer Mike Morris contributed to this article.