The Rock Mountain in the Chattooga River Ranger District of northeast Georgia continue to burn unabated, only 35 percent contained with about 600 personnel pitted against it.
Pre-evacuations in Rabun County are planned for these areas, the U.S. Forest Service said Friday:
- Patterson Gap north of Ramah Darom Church Camp
- All roads at Bettys Creek, north of Tom Wilson Rd to the state line; this includes Messer Creek Rd, Hambidge Ct, High Darnell Rd, Bryes Place Ln, Towns County (more information: 706-896-7460)
These roads are closed:
- Charlies Creek Road, off Tallulah River Road.
- Tallulah River Road (Forest Service Road 70).
- The Appalachian Trail between Dicks Creek Gap, Georgia, to Rock Gap, North Carolina
- An area closure has been issued for the Nantahala wilderness area
- Patterson Gap Road from Betty’s Creek Road to Poplar Gap (USFS road)
- Betty’s Creek Road from Patterson Gap to the North Carolina state line (Rabun County)
- Mulberry from the North Carolina state line to Pagonia Drive/Beasley Gap (Macon County)
For more information about the Rock Mountain Fire, call 470-208-2866, or visit these websites: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5100, https://rockmountainfire.wordpress.com/ and www.fs.usda.gov/conf. Follow Tweets @ChattOconeeNF or download apps for Android and iPhone at http://tinyurl.com/CONFmobileapp.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.