NYPD warning: Never do this with your cellphone unless you want a fire

In particular, the NYPD 33rd Precinct warns people not to place a cellphone under a pillow to charge it or while they are sleeping.

>> Read more trending stories

Accompanying the tweet are images of a cellphone that appears to have caught fire, leaving an ugly burn hole in the pillow.

The images appear to be from a 2014 case, in which a teenager from Texas was awakened to her phone smoldering under her pillow. She was unharmed, but the phone was totally destroyed.

In that case, Samsung, the phone maker, investigated the incident and found that the battery was a replacement and not an original Samsung product. Additionally, Samsung includes in its user guide a warning about the fire risk involved when a device’s air flow is restricted.

Consumers should refer to the user guide for warnings and tips on cellphone charging and usage. 

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X