Here are five things to know about the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, a day after they dropped to 0-2 in the exhibition season with a 17-13 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers:
1. Today. There is no practice today although head coach Dan Quinn will address the media via conference call at 11:30 a.m.
2. Starters. The starters have played well in both exhibition games. They are expecting to play into the third quarter in the third game.
3. McKinley’s debut. The Falcons were pleased with the modest debut of rookie defensive end Takkarist McKinley. He played 10 plays on defense and five on special teams. He showed his speed and power from defensive end and had one quarterback hit. We’ll have to catch up to him later as he slipped out of the locker room while Quinn was holding his press conference.
4. Run defense shoddy. The Falcons’ backups were shredded by Pittsburgh’s John Conner, who rushed for 98 yards on 20 carries and led the comeback.
5. Next up. In the first game in the $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the Falcons (0-2) host the Arizona Cardinals (1-2) at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.