For the second time this season, the Falcons (4-8) will face a team playing with an interim head coach in the Green Bay Packers (4-7-1) at 1 p.m. Sunday at historic Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis.
Joe Philbin has been installed as the interim head coach for Mike McCarthy, who was fired on Sunday. Philbin was 24-28 as head coach of the Miami Dolphins from 2012-2015, before he was fired five games into the season.
The Falcons loss to Cleveland on Nov. 11 in Gregg Williams second game as the interim coach.
Here are five stats that set up the matchup:
1. Spiraling: Just two seasons ago, the Falcons and the Packers met in the NFC Championship game, the final game in the Georgia Dome. Since the Falcons’ 44-21 win on Jan. 22, 2017, things have spiraled downward for both franchises. The Falcons are 15-15 since losing to the Patriots in the Super Bowl while the Packers have gone 11-16-1 since the NFC title game.
2. Series history: This will be the 30th regular-season meeting. The Packers lead the series 15-14. The two teams have played in the playoffs four times and have split, 2-2.
3. Adams is a keeper. Packers wide receiver Davante Adams is having a fine season. He’s caught 85 passes for 1,115 yards and 11 touchdowns.
4. Where’s the offense?: The Falcons have not scored over 20 points during their four-game losing streak and have not rushed for more than 35 yards in their past two games. The Packers are giving up 23. 9 points per game, which ranks 16th in the league. The Falcons should be able to find some room to run against the Packers, who are giving up 127.6 yards per game, which ranks 25th in the league.
5. QB corner: Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers, a two-time MVP, and Atlanta’s Matt Ryan, a one-time MVP, have similar numbers this season.
Rodgers has completed 283 of 463 passes (61.8 percent) for 3,504 yards, 21 touchdowns and one interception. He has a passer rating of 99.3
Ryan has completed 326 of 460 passes (70.9 percent) for 3,814 yards, 25 touchdowns and five interceptions. He has a passer rating of 109.3.
Both have had shoddy pass protection. Rodgers has been sacked 35 times, seven percent of his pass attempts. Ryan’s been sacked 36 times, 7.3 percent of his pass attempts.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.