Falcons pull out 25-19 victory over Redskins in OT

A quarter-by-quarter look at the Falcons 25-19 victory against the Washington Redskins in overtime before 70,178 fans on Sunday at the Georgia Dome.


Big play: On the Falcons' first possession, quarterback Matt Ryan had a pass intercepted by Washington safety Trenton Robinson, one intended for Julio Jones. Ryan hadn't thrown an interception since the third quarter of the opener against Philadelphia. He had attempted 116 passes without an interception.

Turning point: Ryan's turnover didn't lead to any points for Washington, but it ended a promising drive. The Falcons were on the move after a 25-yard reception by tight end Jacob Tamme put the ball at Washington's 40. On the play preceding the interception, Jones dropped a pass over the middle.

The takeaway: The Falcons' offense was not ready to start to the game. The run game was stuffed. Ryan and Jones couldn't connect. The defense forced two punts.

Score: Falcons 0, Redskins 0.


Big play: On fourth-and-1 from Atlanta's 10, Washington coach Jay Gruden rolled the dice. Quarterback Kirk Cousins picked up the first down on a sneak. Three plays later, Cousins tossed a 7-yard touchdown pass to tight end Derek Carrier to give the Redskins the lead.

Turning point: With Washington on the move and looking to add to its 7-3 lead, cornerback Robert Alford took the ball away from Washington receiver Pierre Garcon, who was trying to make a juggling catch. He returned it 17 yards to Washington's 40.

The takeaway: The offense continued to sputter and gave the Redskins another turnover.

Score: Redskins 7, Falcons 3.


Big play: On fourth-and-6 from the 40, the Falcons went for it. Ryan connected with Jones for a 9-yard gain. The drive stalled at the 5-yard line and led to a Matt Bryant 28-yard field goal to cut Washington's lead to 7-6.

Turning point: After Bryant missed a 48-yard field, the Falcons became aggressive. Bryant had missed earlier hitting the right upright. His second miss hit the left upright.

The takeaway: It was a bad day inside the Dome for the kickers. In addition to Bryant's two misses, Washington's Dustin Hope missed a 53-yard field goal.

Score: Redskins 7, Falcons 6.


Big play: Running back Devonta Freeman scored with 24 seconds left to put the Falcons up 19-16, but the Falcons' defense allowed Washington to drive quickly for a game-tying field goal at the buzzer.

Turning point: After the Falcons had battled back to take the lead, Alford was called for pass interference on a deep pass to Rashad Ross. The 42-yard penalty set the Redskins up to re-take the lead, 13-12 on a Matt Jones 2-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion pass was incomplete. Ryan was intercepted by Bashaud Breeland with 5:44 to play on a pass intended for White. Washington added a field goal to make 16-12 with 2:38 to play.

The takeaway: Freeman has to hang onto the fumble in the red zone and Alford has to leave his hands off of the receiver right in front of the officials.

Score: Redskins 19, Falcons 19.


Big play: Alford wins the game with a 59-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Score: Falcons 25, Redskins 19.