Falcons QB Michael Penix Jr. medically cleared for full participation
INDIANAPOLIS — Let the quarterback competition, in earnest, begin.
Michael Penix Jr., last season’s starter, had a phone call with his doctor Thursday night, during which the 26-year-old signal-caller received clearance to participate fully in 11-on-11 team periods, coach Kevin Stefanski told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution after Saturday’s preseason game.
Stefanski said Penix will practice Monday in 11-on-11 periods.
Earlier in training camp, Falcons quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt previously said the team had to evaluate Penix and Tua Tagovailoa on different scales. Penix, who suffered a torn ACL on Nov. 16 against the Panthers, had worked only in 7-on-7 periods, and Tagovailoa has primarily handled 11-on-11 sessions.
Now, they stand on equal footing.
Stefanski told reporters Thursday the team has a plan in place for Penix’s acclimation period, though he declined to share details.
“I think (we’ll) cross that bridge when we get there,” Stefanski said. “Obviously, I trust in our medical team, the surgeon involved with Mike. I trust in Mike. So when that time comes, we’ll work through that plan.”
Penix has gone 72-for-112 passing during 7-on-7 drills in training camp, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s passing chart.