Woman hurt in fire that destroyed Cherokee County mobile home

A 54-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after a fire completely destroyed her Cherokee County mobile home Sunday morning, officials said.

The blaze, which broke out at the East Gate Mobile Home Park on Bells Ferry Road around 11 a.m., left the family without a home, Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services said in a statement. The cause of the fire is under investigation. 

The woman, whose name was not released, was treated at WellStar Kennestone Hospital for possible smoke inhalation, Cherokee County fire Chief Kevin Lanier said. The woman’s husband, her son and the son’s girlfriend were also in the home at the time the fire started, but escaped without injury.

READ: Alpharetta man arrested after allegedly grabbing boy in bookstore

WEATHER: Winter Weather Advisory in effect through noon Monday, ice to turn to rain by afternoon

One cat that was in the home was taken to an emergency veterinarian, Lanier said. A second cat that lived there has not been located.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Teacher suspended for making pancakes for students during state tests
  2. 2 Man convicted of murder flees courtroom; manhunt underway
  3. 3 Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter send regrets for Bush funeral

Heavy smoke and flames completely blackened the inside of the home, Lanier said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The inside of the mobile home was blackened by the blaze. (Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Services)

Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.

In other news:

Layne Chesney is a 14-year-old who suffered burns on 95% of her body. Chesney was at a New Year's Eve bonfire in Fort Pierce, Fla. Her parents and Hunter Holmes, 18, also suffered burns trying to put out the flames on her. A can of gasoline exploded in her hands when she tried to fuel the fire. As of Jan. 7, she was in a coma but doctors were "optimistic."

More from AJC