Teens arrested after I-85 chase, crash were wanted on charges across metro area

Credit: Newnan Police Department

Credit: Newnan Police Department

The two suspects arrested after a police chase and crash on I-85 in Coweta County were identified Monday as 17-year-olds who were both wanted in connection with other crimes in the metro Atlanta area, police said.

Larri Wright and Randy King, both of Atlanta, allegedly led police on a high-speed chase from Newnan onto I-85, before crashing.

After the crash, Newnan police said one of the suspects pointed a gun at Coweta County sheriff’s deputies, prompting them to fire at the teen. He was arrested after an hour-and-a-half-long search in the woods.

Wright had been wanted in connection with three auto break-ins in the Atlanta and College Park areas, Newnan police said in a statement Monday.

King had been wanted on a theft by receiving charge out of Cobb County, “and possibly being involved in a shooting on MARTA property,” police said.

The chase started after officers approached a white Jaguar in a store parking lot on Bullsboro Drive after a man tracked his stolen iPad to a car there, according to a police incident report.

The Jaguar took off, officials said, sparking a chase on I-85 and reaching speeds of 100 mph. Spike strips caused the Jaguar — allegedly driven by Wright — to crash into a guardrail on the right side of the interstate.

Video taken from a police car shows two people get out of the car and sprint down the side of the highway, followed by police.

King was quickly taken into custody, while police said Wright dashed toward the median, across the southbound lanes, and into the woods.

While running, Wright allegedly held up a pistol at two deputies, who fired. He was not struck by the bullets. Wright was found hiding under a wood pile, police said.

Wright faces nine charges in connection with the incident, and King faces five. Police said both 17-year-olds had guns.

The Jaguar was found to be stolen from a car rental business near Hartsfield–Jackson International Airport, according to police.

The GBI was consulted about the case but not officially requested to assist with the investigation, spokeswoman Nelly Miles said.

The crash and investigation shut down five miles of I-85 in both directions for more than two hours.

In other news: