Cobb County fire officials have determined the cause of a fire that destroyed a home on Monday in Vinings.
The accidental fire in the 4000 block of Woodland Brook Drive SE was caused by “improper removal and/or disposal of fireplace ashes,” Cobb County Fire and Emergency Service said.
Firefighters were dispatched to the home around 3 p.m. Nov. 25, and the first unit arrived at the home off Paces Ferry Road within six minutes of the call.
The fire department said no one was injured, but it’s believed that the family dog died in the fire. Fire department spokeswoman Denell Boyd said the roof collapsed and there was “too much damage” for crews to rescue the dog.
“The homeowner stated that the dog was inside,” she said.
Initial reports indicate the fire started in or near the garage, but the department said it’s still investigating the incident.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.