Georgia man pleads guilty to threatening schools in 2 states

A man from west Georgia has pleaded guilty to making terroristic threats against two schools, one of which is in neighboring Eufaula, Alabama.

Levi Calhoun III, 28, pleaded guilty June 30, according to Middle District of Alabama U.S. Attorney Louis V. Franklin Sr. and FBI Special Agent in Charge James Jewell.

According to court documents, on Nov. 7, 2018, Calhoun created and used a fake Facebook account to spread several threats that someone would attack one or more schools in Eufaula and in Quitman County, Georgia, schools with firearms and explosives.

When creating the fake social media account, Franklin said, Calhoun used images from another Facebook user, causing him a great deal of distress when law enforcement contacted him to verify he was not actually making the threats. Agents soon traced the fake account back to Calhoun.

On March 12, 2019, Calhoun was indicted by a federal grand jury on one count of making threats by mail or telephone and one count of conveying false information.

Regional coverage

At The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, we focus primarily on Georgia news, but we also like to provide readers with regional coverage of the Southeast. We cover stories that impact our region, especially in Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina and Mississippi.

Calhoun is facing up to 10 years in prison. A sentencing date will be scheduled in the next few months.

“We will not tolerate domestic terrorism in any form, but especially when it is directed against our children,” Franklin said. “Students should be able to get an education without fear or the threat of violence. Mr. Calhoun’s actions were unacceptable, and I hope this prosecution sends the message that we will not abide any threats of violence against a school.”

The Eufaula Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Quitman County Sheriff’s Department, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Enterprise Police Department, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency and the Alabama Fusion Center cooperated in the investigation of this case.