Ex-Richmond deputy faces new aggravated stalking charge in domestic violence case

Credit: Augusta Chronicle

Credit: Augusta Chronicle

A Richmond County deputy who was fired last year after a domestic violence accusation faces a new charge of aggravated stalking, according to court records.

Jason Robert McCall, 32, was arraigned on the new charge last Friday, with him pleading not guilty Tuesday, according to Columbia County court records. He was fired from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office in April 2019 after being accused of attacking the mother of his youngest child in front of her 9-year-old daughter, AJC.com previously reported.

RELATED: Richmond County deputy fired after allegedly assaulting wife in front of kid

His aggravated stalking charge, which stems from an incident in October, involves the same victim, the Augusta Chronicle reported. According to the indictment obtained by the newspaper, he contacted the woman with the purpose to harass and intimidate her, despite the fact she was granted a 12-month order of protection in April.

The initial charges against McCall stemmed from an April 2 attack, where he hit the woman repeatedly, broke down a bathroom door and choked her when she tried to get away, according to an affidavit obtained by the Chronicle. The 9-year-old girl told authorities she begged him to stop during the attack.

The woman told Columbia County deputies that he returned home highly intoxicated and became upset with her because she was texting friends. Deputies had responded to their home five times on domestic violence calls since 2017.

He was charged with aggravated assault, battery and third-degree child cruelty, which led to him being fired from the sheriff’s office on April 10. He had worked at the sheriff’s office since 2013. McCall’s Richmond County Sheriff’s Office personnel file did not mention any domestic violence issues from the prior calls to his home, according to the Chronicle.

McCall has pleaded not guilty to all charges, court records show. He was granted a $27,300 bond after his initial arrest in April, but he was denied bond after being re-arrested in December following the new charge, according to jail records.

His next court date has not been scheduled.

In other news: