Man who robbed LGBT advocate during Midtown march faces 4 child molestation charges

Wilford Hardnett

Credit: Troup County Sheriff's Office

Credit: Troup County Sheriff's Office

A man who was convicted of robbing an LGBT advocate during a 2017 march in Midtown faces new charges in LaGrange.

He's accused of molesting four children, LaGrange police told the LaGrange Daily News.

Wilford Hardnett, 23, was arrested on New Year’s Eve and booked into the Troup County Jail on the four felony charges, according to online jail records. He remains in jail without bond.

No further information about the child molestation charges have been released. has reached out to LaGrange police to try to learn more.

In 2017, Hardnett was arrested in Midtown after LGBT advocate Charles Stadtlander said he had his phone snatched during a robbery, previously reported.

RELATED: LGBT advocate says man used gay slur, robbed him during Midtown march

Charles Stadtlander

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

Hardnett approached Stadtlander, who was marching near the intersection of Peachtree and 10th streets, on a bicycle before the robbery. Stadtlander said Hardnett kicked him and called him a gay slur.

When Hardnett tried to ride off, Stadtlander grabbed his bike in an attempt to stop him. That’s when Hardnett said he had a handgun, threatening to kill anyone who got in his way.

“(Hardnett) called me a gay slur and snatched my iPhone out of my hand,” Stadtlander told Channel 2 Action News at the time. “He told all of us that he had a Glock and told us he was going to kill all of us and used gay slurs.”

Wilford Hardnett was also arrested in 2017.

Hardnett was initially charged with aggravated assault and robbery, but he was only convicted of the robbery charge, according to Fulton County court records. He was sentenced in August to time served plus seven years on probation as part of a negotiated plea deal.

For an incident in April, he was also convicted of a count of interference with government property, court records show. He received a two-year suspended sentence for that charge, but no other information on the incident was immediately available.

In other news:

It happened just a few days before Christmas.

In Other News