Case moves forward against man accused of killing wife outside fire station

Jeremy Gibson is accused of shooting Amy Gibson in front of their two children last month.

Dawson County firefighters could hear Amy Gibson scream for help moments before she was gunned down by her estranged husband in front of their two kids, detectives testified Wednesday.

A judge found probable cause to move forward with the murder case against 44-year-old Jeremy Wade Gibson, who surrendered to firefighters moments after allegedly shooting his wife from outside her car as the children, 5 and 8, looked on from the back seat.

Witnesses testified Gibson appeared calm and showed little emotion after surrendering to firefighters in the parking lot of Dawson County’s Fire Station No. 7 late last month, Channel 2 Action News reported.

RELATED: Man follows, fatally shoots wife outside Georgia fire station, sheriff says

Authorities said Amy Gibson and her children fled from her husband, who followed behind in his car, first to an elementary school and then to the fire station, where she hoped someone would help her.

Jeremy Wade Gibson (left) and Amy Gibson


icon to expand image


“She pulled in. They could all hear her screaming for help,” Dawson County Sheriff’s Office investigator Jeff Moore testified. “He pulled in behind, exited the vehicle. He then approached on the driver’s side, attempted to open the driver’s side door. It was locked. At that point, he drew his firearm and shot three to four times.”

MORE: Woman killed outside fire station by husband feared for her life, friends say

Police said one of the shots fired went through Amy Gibson’s cellphone and into her head.

“The fire station should be a safe haven, and obviously that’s what we believe that this lady was looking for,” Dawson County Sheriff Jeff Johnson said from the scene July 29.

Channel 2 reported the couple was separated and had domestic issues in the past, but Gibson had never been arrested.

Friends of the Gibsons said Amy sought help long before she was killed, and even tried to get a restraining order against her husband, who they said was a former Army Ranger.

“No one intervened,” her friend, Kristi Peterson, said previously. “It was behavior that was alarming and scary, and no one stopped it.”

According to Peterson, Amy Gibson constantly feared for her safety, and told her she “didn’t know how this would end without someone dead.”

Jeremy Gibson remains at the Dawson County Jail on charges of murder, aggravated assault, child cruelty and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, records show.

In other news: 

About the Author