Attorney charged in deadly road-rage incident released from jail

Bryan Keith Schmitt

Credit: Fulton County Sheriff's Office

Credit: Fulton County Sheriff's Office

Bryan Keith Schmitt

A north Fulton attorney accused of running over and killing a real estate investor during an argument was released from jail Saturday morning.

Bryan Keith Schmitt, 47, of Sandy Springs, was released on a $500,000 bond, jail records show.

He was indicted last month on murder, felony murder and aggravated assault charges in the death of east Cobb County resident Hamid Jahangard.

Police said Schmitt ran over the 60-year-old developer with his Mercedes after Jahangard allegedly hit his sedan with a golf ball.

RELATED: Police: Attorney said fight over golf ball led to death of Atlanta investor

Paramedics responding to the scene found Jahangard lying at the end of a long driveway shared by four homes in the 300 block of River Valley Road. He died at a hospital three days later.

Schmitt was granted bond Friday morning over the objections of Jahangard’s children, who described their father as a loving, caring man.

MORE: Attorney's bond set at $500K following deadly road-rage incident

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Kevin Farmer said he didn’t consider Schmitt to be a flight risk, Channel 2 reported.

He must surrender his passport and driver’s license and is not allowed to drive, the judge told him. He must also wear an ankle monitor.

In multiple interviews, Schmitt told police he was passing the Sandy Springs driveway when he saw Jahangard leaning over a green, county-issued trash can. He said Jahangard made a throwing motion with his arm before something, a rock or golf ball, hit the Mercedes.

A golf ball was found near the scene, police said, but there was no damage to the car.

Schmitt admitted turning around and confronting Jahangard in the driveway, but told investigators he never meant to run over the man.

The attorney told police as he tried to pull into the driveway, Jahangard threw the trash can in front of his car to stop him. He swerved, he said, but could not avoid hitting Jahangard in the process.

After giving his initial statement to officers, he was allowed to take his car and drive the two miles back to his home.

He was charged nearly two weeks later after investigators determined Jahangard’s death was no accident.

Jail records show Schmitt was released after putting up 10% of his $500,000 bond.

In other news: