Three of the top-5 and six of the top-10 Class AAA teams lost Friday night when they went up against higher-classed and out-of-state opponents.
That could prompt a shuffle in the rankings:
-- No. 1 Calhoun defeated Sonoraville 38-0 in a rain-delayed game in its Region 6 opener. It was business as usual for Hal Lamb’s defending state champions, as Zach Fuller rushed for two touchdowns. Gavin Gray opened the game 7-of-7 passing for 101 yards before his first incomplete pass. He had touchdown passes to Luke Moseley and Bralin Barton. Calhoun will still No. 1 on Sunday.
-- It's debatable whether No. 2 Cedar Grove will slide in the polls following its 24-17 loss to Class AAAAAAA McEachern. McEachern is ranked ninth in the state’s highest classification, and the loss might not hold as much weight as others on Friday.
-- Third-ranked Peach, if it moves at all, could replace Cedar Grove at No. 2. The Trojans defeated Class AAAAA Houston County 49-14 at home. The victory was a statement follow Peach’s 33-0 loss at Lee County last week. The Trojans led 28-7 at the half.
-- Benedictine had a tall task in its game against Class AAAA No. 1 Blessed Trinity. The Cadets, which have dominated Class AA for several years, lost 38-7. The loss could drop Benedictine out of the top 5. No. 5 Westminster also lost to AAAA No. 2 Marist (24-7).
-- The two losses could pave the way for a hard-charging Monroe Area team to move into the top 5. The Purple Hurricanes could jump as high as third, but more than likely, Kevin Reach’s team will land at fourth behind Calhoun, Cedar Grove and Peach.
-- Seventh-ranked GAC lost in Texas to Prestonwood Christian (13-7) and should drop toward the bottom of the top-10. ... Eighth-ranked Pace Academy also lost to an out-of-state school – Charlotte Christian, 44-7 -- and more-than-likely will bid adieu to the top 10. ... No. 9 Lovett lost to Class AAAA Mary Persons 58-21 and will be overtaken by No. 10 Jefferson, which defeated South Carolina’s Southside 31-7.
How Class AAA fared:
1. Calhoun (3-0) – Beat Sonoraville 38-0
2. Cedar Grove (3-1) – Lost to Class AAAAAA McEachern 24-17
3. Peach County (2-1) – Beat Class AAAAAA Houston County 49-14.
4. Benedictine (1-1) – Lost to Class AAAA Blessed Trinity 38-7.
5. Westminster – (2-2) -- Lost to Class AAAA Marist 24-7.
6. Monroe Area – (4-0) -- Beat Class AAAAA Walnut Grove 28-7.
7. Greater Atlanta Christian (1-2) – Lost to Prestonwood Christian (Tex.) 13-7.
8. Pace Academy (2-2) -- Lost to Charlotte Christian 44-7.
9. Lovett (1-3) -- Lost to Class AAAA Mary Persons 58-21.
10. Jefferson (2-1) – Beat Southside, SC 31-7.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.