FLOWERY BRANCH – At this point the pre-draft process, the Falcon have realized that they can’t sit at the eighth spot and be guaranteed of getting one of the talented pass-rushers in the draft.
They like Kentucky’s Bud Dupree, but they know that Florida’s Dante Fowler Jr. is better. They both best fit the size profiles that new head coach Dan Quinn likes.
The Falcons could sit and wait on Randy Gregory, but may decide he’s not worth the trouble.
So, in Mock 3.0, we have a trade!
The Falcons will make a deal with pal Dave Caldwell down in Jacksonville to move up into the third position so that they can draft Florida’s Dante Fowler Jr.
In 2012, the Browns moved up from the fourth spot to the third spot to draft Trent Richardson. They gave up a fourth, fifth and seventh.
The price to move up five spots would be a little steeper, but the Falcons need to hold onto their second-round pick and see if the Jags would take next year’s third, a fifth and seventh.
“Randy Gregory after testing positive at the combine and for his history or repeated poor decisions, there is a pretty good shot that he’s going to get to eight,” said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock on 92.9 the Game on Thursday while talking to Marc James and Randy Cross.
Missouri’s Shane Ray is a little to light in the britches for the Falcons scheme.
“If you’re talking about Shane Ray, he’s 6-3 ½ 245 with the defense that Atlanta runs, he’s really not a defensive end,” Mayock said. “He would have to do what Khalil Mack does in Oakland or what Von Miller does in Denver and play outside linebacker on first down and then kick down with his hand in the dirt in sub packages and that’s realistic. I think Shane Ray is guy who makes a whole lot of sense in that particular scenario.”
By now the Falcons have figured out that Fowler is a better scheme than Clemson’s Vic Beasley.
“Vic Beasley is kind of the same thing,” Mayock said. “He’s a specialty pass rusher. He can’t play defensive end for you on first down. He’d either have to play linebacker or be a specialty guy like Aldon Smith was in first year in the league.”
Dupree is attracting more interest, but there is a consensus that he would be a reach with the 8th pick.
“The guy that has picked up a lot of steam and makes sense for Atlanta’s scheme, who’s probably really not in the conversation … is Bud Dupree,” Mayock said. “This kid is 270 pounds and gifted. He’s a little bit inconsistent on tape. He fits the front that Dan Quinn is going to run a little bit more than the other guys.”
So, trade up for Fowler, take Gregory or go with the inconsistent guy from Kentucky by way of Wilkinson County High.
Trade up for Fowler is the move!!!!
ESPN analyst Bill Polian is a Fowler backer.
“The Florida kid has got really great explosion off the edge,” Polian said. “He’s a bigger version of a Bruce Irvin type player. He’s much bigger as a matter of fact. He can turn speed into power. He’s an aggressive player and pretty accomplished rusher.”
Here’s how my Mock 3.0 stacks up:
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
- Tennessee Titans. Leonard Williams, DE, USC*
- *Atlanta Falcons. Dante Fowler, OLB, Florida
- Oakland Raiders. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
- Washington Redskins. Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson
- New York Jets. Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
- Chicago Bears. Marcus Mariota, QB, Chicago
- *Jacksonville Jaguars, Randy Gregory, OLB, Nebraska
- New York Giants. Brandon Scherff, G, Iowa
- St. Louis Rams. La'el Collins, OT, LSU
- Minnesota Vikings. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
- Cleveland Browns. Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
- New Orleans Saints. Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon
- Miami Dolphins. Landon Collins, SS, Alabama
- San Francisco 49ers. Shane Ray, OLB, Missouri
- Houston Texans. Jalen Collins, CB, LSU
- San Diego Chargers. Bud Dupree, DE, Kentucky
- Kansas City Chiefs. Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
- Cleveland Browns. Melvin Gordon III, RB, Wisconsin
- Philadelphia Eagles. Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
- Cincinnati Bengals. Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami
- Pittsburgh Steelers. Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
- Detroit Lions. Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
- Arizona Cardinals. Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia
- Carolina Panthers. D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida
- Baltimore Ravens. Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida
- Dallas Cowboys. Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA
- Denver Broncos. Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
- Indianapolis Colts. Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma
- Green Bay Packers. Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami
- New Orleans Saints. Malcolm Brown, RB, Texas
- New England Patriots. Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE, UCLA
ATLANTA FALCONS 2015 DRAFT PICKS
First round: 8th overall selection
Second round: 42nd overall selection
Third round: 73rd overall selection
Fourth round: 107th overall selection
Fifth round: 146th overall selection
Sixth round: 185th overall selection
Seventh round: 225th overall selection
Seventh round: 249th overall selection*
*Pick is from New England through St. Louis
NFL DRAFT CORNER
FALCONS COMBINE MEETINGS
COLLEGE PRO DAY VISITS
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism. AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.
Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.
Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.