WEATHER UPDATE: Atlanta enjoys record high temperature

Thomaston resident Janet Pitts walks her dog Annie in the sunshine Friday at the Marshalling Yard at the Georgia World Congress Center.

Credit: John Spink

caption arrowCaption
Thomaston resident Janet Pitts walks her dog Annie in the sunshine Friday at the Marshalling Yard at the Georgia World Congress Center.

Credit: John Spink

Credit: John Spink

Atlanta has set a new record high temperature for Dec. 3, according to the National Weather Service.

The previous high was 74 degrees, set in 1991 and tied in 2012. Today’s high temperature outstripped forecasts, peaking at 76.

According to Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Jennifer Lopez, the unseasonably warm weather is 20 degrees above average for this time of year.

“It really is going to be a beautiful day for us, and Saturday and Sunday look just as nice,” Lopez said. “It’s all really about the temperatures.”

Credit: WSBTV Videos

caption arrowCaption
We're warming up for Friday afternoon

Credit: WSBTV Videos

Even the morning hours were mild Friday, and that will continue through the weekend.

Highs in the 70s are predicted for Saturday, according to Channel 2. It should be perfect conditions for fans cheering on Georgia and Alabama in the SEC Championship Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

ExploreTicket prices for SEC title game reach record high

“Come late Sunday night into early Monday, another front approaches us,” Lopez said. “This time it has a little bit of rain with it. We could see those scattered showers around on Monday, but what this is really going to be doing is changing up the atmosphere across the South, bringing us more moisture.”

A 60% chance of a shower Monday turns to a 40% chance Tuesday, but the best chance for rain in metro Atlanta will be Wednesday, she said. After a week of sunshine and warm weather, a little rain seems like a fair trade.

Expect extra congestion downtown Saturday ahead of the SEC title game. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 p.m., but the revelry will get started early with several planned tailgating events beginning as early as 11 a.m.

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter.

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.