Here's Severe Weather Team 2 Chief Meteorologist Glenn Burns with a look at your Tuesday evening forecast.

WEATHER-TRAFFIC: Snow flurries, wintry mix possible overnight in Cobb, west metro Atlanta

As temperatures continue to drop Tuesday afternoon due to a cold front, North Georgia will likely see a few snowflakes as the evening transitions into nighttime.

However, Channel 2 Action News chief meteorologist Glenn Burns said the possible flurries and wintry mix is not anything to worry about, since most of metro Atlanta will be above freezing.

“It’s going to be more of a novelty to go out and look at some snow flurries,” he said. “It’s not a big deal.”


Atlanta has dropped into the upper 40s and should bottom out in the upper 30s, while the suburbs get a little closer to freezing overnight.


 

During the late evening hours, the northwest corner of the state could see a brief wave of snow as the rapidly cooling air “wrings out the moisture” like a washcloth, Burns said. Once the moisture in that wave is gone, another spurt of wet weather could bring a few snow flurries to Cobb, Haralson and Paulding counties about 2 a.m. Wednesday.


 

While none of the snow is expected to stick or cause any problems in metro Atlanta, a Winter Weather Advisory has been issued until 5 a.m. for 15 far North Georgia counties, according to the National Weather Service.


“It is going to be frigid for the next couple of days before a warming trend sets in for the weekend,” Burns said.

This comes after a Tuesday filled with light showers and a spotty downpour or two as the cold front moved into Georgia, Channel 2 meteorologist Brian Monahan said. Tuesday’s 70% chance of rain drops to 30% Wednesday.

“We'll keep the rain impacts high throughout the day and into tonight,” he said. “It won’t be until tomorrow morning that this rain starts to taper off.”


 

Thursday’s rain chance is also 30% before a cold, wet day Friday with an 80% chance, according to Channel 2.

“We told you yesterday to have that rain gear handy most of the week,” Monahan said. “Not all of the week. We will get you some drier spots here and there over the next few days.”

The rain should clear out in time for the weekend. 

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter. 

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.