Atlanta Hawks general manager announced several hires and promotions in the basketball operations department on Thursday.
The hires and promotions are listed below:
- Rod Higgins hired as college scout: Higgins a played 13 seasons in the NBA from 1982-1994 before becoming working as a Golden State Warriors assistant coach (1994-2000). Higgins also served as general assistant manager for the Washington Wizards and Warriors general manager before spending 2007-14 with the Charlotte Bobcats.
- Brady Howe hired as assistant athletic trainer: Howe was director of athletic performance for the Salt Lake City Stars in the NBA G League after serving as the Stars strength and conditioning coach and equipment manager. Howe earned a Bachelor’s degree from Weber State University in athletic training and a Master’s in sports conditioning and performance from Southern Utah University.
- Adam Loiacono hired as performance therapist: Loiacono was with Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution for the past five seasons as a fitness coach. Loiacono has a Bachelor’s in kinesiology and exercise science from the University of Maine and a Doctor of Physical Therapy from Springfield College.
- Dan Martinez hired as senior director of team operations: Martinez worked for the Golden State Warriors for the last 17 seasons where he most recently as the team’s senior director of public relations. Martinez has a Bachelor’s degree in communications from University of California, Davis.
- Derek Pierce hired as pro player personnel scout: Pierce comes to Atlanta after working as an advance, college and NBA personnel scout from 2009-2017 with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Pierce has a Bachelor’s degree in finance from Michigan State University and a Master’s in sports administration from Florida State University.
- Daniel Bove promoted to sports scientist/assistant strength and conditioning coach: Bove worked for the Hawks last season after working as as a graduate assistant and performance laboratory supervisor at University of South Florida from 2014-2016. Bove graduated from Penn State with a Bachelor’s degree in kinesiology and has a Master’s in exercise science from South Florida.
- Scottie Parker promoted to head athletic trainer: Entering his fifth season with the Hawks, Parker was promoted from Atlanta’s Assistant Athletic Trainer. Parker previously worked with Fusionetics Sports Science, the Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trail Blazers and the indoor football team the Ontario Warriors. Parker has a Bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from the University of Northwestern (Minn.) and a Master’s in athletic training from California Baptist University.
- Zach Peterson promoted to video coordinator: Peterson is promoted from the position of assistant video coordinator which he filled last season. Peterson joined the Hawks team in 2014 and served as seasonal assistant of basketball operations and assistant of video. Peterson has a Bachelor’s degree in advertising from Michigan State University.
- Patrick St. Andrews promoted to assistant coach: St. Andrews worked as the Hawks’ video coordinator last season after joining the organization in 2013 as a seasonal assistant of basketball operations. St. Andrews was an assistant coach for the Dominican Republic National Team during the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship in Mexico City. St. Andrews had a Bachelor’s degree in business economics and international business and a Master’s degree in business administration from Penn St.-Behrend.
- Daniel Starkman promoted to manager of basketball information and scouting coordinator: After joining the Hawks’ team in 2015, Starkman was previously the Hawks’ coordinator of basketball operations and information. Starkman has a Bachelor’s degree in business administration from Florida.
The Hawks needed to replace three members of the athletic performance staff who left for other teams. Head Athletic Trainer Art Horne left for the Celtics as Director of Performance. Zach Markowitz also joined the Celtics as Rehabilitation and Performance Coordinator. Chris Chase left for the Grizzlies as Strength and Conditioning Development Coordinator.