The Falcons just completed their first live scrimmage action of training camp on Monday.
They were divided up into the Red and White team. Defensive end Takkarist McKinley (contusion) and running back Ito Smith (foot) worked off to the side with the trainers.
Here are the five things we learned:
1. Red-White scrimmage: The Red team prevailed, 14-0.
2. Schaub to Gray: Backup quarterback Matt Schaub tossed a touchdown pass to undrafted rookie Devin Gray to put the Red team up 7-0.
3. Ryan picked off: Starting quarterback Matt Ryan was intercepted by cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson on a pass out to his right.
4. Gono gets action: Division III product Matt Gono, who had been working with the third team, played right tackle for the White team with Ryan and four of the first team linemen. Backup right tackle Ty Sambrailo has a hand injury. First-team right guard Ryan Schraeder was on the Red team. On one third down, Gono whiffed on left defensive end Vic Beasley, who motored around the rookie and tagged Ryan for a sack. He’ll have to adjust to the speed of the NFL game coming from Division III.
5. Hardy picked: The Falcons tried a bit of razzle-dazzle, but wide receiver Justin Hardy’s pass across the field to a streaking Tevin Coleman was intercepted by free safety Ricardo Allen.
(Check back later for a story on rookie defensive tackle Deadrin Senat and how he’s adjusting to the trenches in the NFL.)