Several Atlanta United players participated in the first voluntary workouts allowed by MLS at the team’s training facility Wednesday.

Among the players who participated in the sessions were Ezequiel Barco, George Bello, Edgar Castillo, Manuel Castro, George Campbell, Jeff Larentowicz, Pity Martinez, Eric Remedi, Matheus Rossetto and Laurence Wyke. Castillo, Rossetto and Wyke suffered injuries during the short regular season and have recovered. Media members were not allowed to attend the sessions.

“Very happy (to be back),” Martinez said through an interpreter. “They’ve taken very good measures at the club to take care of us and the staff also. As long as we’re being careful it’s perfect because we have families and we have to protect them. It’s a good start for everything that we’re going through, which is very difficult.”

» PHOTOS:  Atlanta United players return to the practice fields

MLS suspended its season after two rounds March 12. Teams haven’t been able to train as groups since. That moratorium will be in place until at least June 8. The league announced last week that it would allow voluntary individual workouts at the team facility starting Wednesday. Each team had to adhere to strict guidelines imposed by the league.

There will be no sessions Thursday, there will be three sessions Friday. Sessions can include no more than eight players, and a player gets to participate in just one session, per MLS rules. The players can only use the outdoor fields. Locker rooms and training rooms are off-limits.

To maintain distance, the fields are divided into quadrants and players have to stay within their quadrants. The players received instructions from the coaching staff for their workouts.

“It’s good to see teammates,” Campbell said in quotes provided by the team. “We can’t get too close to them. It’s refreshing to be back. We are hungry to be back. We have to take baby steps. We need to be cautious and have safety as our No. 1 goal. It feels good to be back.”

In Other News