Toddler burned when gasoline on slide ignites

More Popular Headlines

A trick to make a slide more slippery left a Georgia toddler in critical condition, authorities said Monday.

The 2-year-old girl, whose name was not released, was burned when gasoline sparked a fire on the slide where she and and her sister were playing, Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman said.

Deputies believe one of the girls poured gasoline on the outdoor slide at their father’s Loganville-area home in order to make it more slippery, Chapman said.

But a spark from static electricity apparently ignited the gasoline, catching the younger sister on fire around 11:15 a.m. Saturday, according to police. The toddler was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital, where she was in a medically induced coma Monday and suffering from severe burns, Chapman said. The 4-year-old girl was not seriously injured.

Investigators do not anticipate filing criminal charges.