Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg discharged from hospital after fall

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was released from a hospital Friday, one day after she showed up at the hospital with three broken ribs following a fall at her office earlier in the week, officials said.

Explore>> Read more trending news

Update 11:20 a.m. EST Nov. 9: Ginsburg was discharged from the hospital Friday, officials said.

“She is doing well and plans to work from home today,” Supreme Court officials said in a statement.

Ginsburg was hospitalized Thursday morning, one day after she fell in her office. Doctors determined she had three fractured ribs and ordered she be hospitalized for observation.

Update 9:30 a.m. EST Nov. 9: Ginsburg's nephew, Daniel Stiepleman, said Thursday night that his aunt was recovering, according to Reuters.

“The last I heard, she was up and working -- of course, because what else would she be doing? -- and cracking jokes,” Stiepleman said at the premiere of the film “On the Basis of Sex,” a movie about Ginsburg’s life. “I can’t promise they were good jokes, but they were jokes.”

Ginsburg was hospitalized one day after she fell in her office at the Supreme Court, officials said. Tests done at George Washington University Hospital showed she had three fractured ribs and doctors admitted her to the hospital for observation.

The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear its next arguments on Nov. 26.

Original report: Ginsburg, 85, fell Wednesday evening while in her office.

“She went home, but after experiencing discomfort overnight, went to George Washington University Hospital early this morning,” court officials said Thursday in a statement. “Tests showed that she fractured three ribs on her left side and she was admitted for observation and treatment.”

Ginsburg broke two ribs in a fall in 2012. She has had two prior bouts with cancer and had a stent implanted to open a blocked artery in 2014.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

About the Author

Editors' Picks