Officials said Toroitich, who had been staying at the hotel with her children and brother, Lawrence J. Bearking, smoked marijuana and was napping with her baby when the infant "got into" a heroin-fentanyl mixture on the bed, the Dickinson Press reported. Bearking is the suspected source of the drugs, authorities said.
After the child overdosed, the mother failed to call 911 and Bearking fled, said Stark County Assistant State's Attorney Amanda Engelstad. The baby's father, who was not staying at the hotel, happened to visit the room and called authorities when he discovered the child wasn't breathing, the newspaper reported. Emergency responders arrived, gave the baby Narcan and rushed the child to a nearby hospital, Engelstad said.