Proctor Square is coming down.

Demolition began Tuesday on the 1960s-era complex on the southwest corner of Buford and Duluth highways, a retail center that, over the years, has seen five-and-dimes, a Winn-Dixie, a Big Lots and the original location for Duluth's famed Rexall Grill. Once it's completely torn down, the space will be used to build a new $64 million mixed-use project.

Proctor Square had been mostly empty -- and mostly an eyesore -- for several years and, during a brief ceremony Tuesday, Duluth Mayor Nancy Harris recalled being asked about it as far back as a decade ago. She called its eventual replacement, which is just the latest addition to a flurry of big-time development around her city's downtown, a "catalyst project."

The new project from Dunwoody-based developer Residential Group, LLC, dubbed "The Village in Duluth," will feature "a 375 multi-family rental unit complex with 11 retail/office store fronts with connected living space and two corner restaurant sites," city officials previously said.  Construction is expected to take two years.

"It will be a keystone project for the revelopment of the Buford Highway corridor," Residential Group's Kurt Alexander said.

Watch video of the start of demolition below:

Down the street from the Proctor Square project, work is well underway on "The Block at Parson's Alley," a 30,000-square-foot restaurant and retail district surrounding the city's Village Green. Dreamland Bar-B-Que has already opened on the site near Lawrenceville and Main streets, as has O4W Pizza.

On the western side of Duluth Highway and Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, a 31-acre development known as Sugarloaf Marketplace will include 330 luxury apartments and 75,000 square feet of retail. A Sprouts Farmers Market opened on the site in May.

About the Author

Featured

The last Michelin Guide Awards ceremony took place at the Georgia World Congress Center on Monday, Oct 28, 2024.

Credit: Jenni Girtman