Toddler dies, family injured in Barrow County house fire

An 18-month-old child is dead and three family members are in a hospital after an early-morning house fire in Barrow County.

Barrow County investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire that happened about 2:15 a.m. at the intersection of Rockwell Church and Moon Bridge roads near Winder.

Firefighters said three adults and a teen escaped the fire. Barrow County fire officials told Channel 2's Ashley Swann they found the baby's body late Wednesday morning.

A 50-year-old man, a 22-year-old woman and a 16-year-old girl were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. Another adult was treated and released from a local hospital, according to authorities. The 22-year-old is the mother of the deceased child, authorities said.

Fire officials said the victims jumped from the second story of the home to escape the flames. Neighbors called 911, but said they wish there was more they could do to help the family.

"Two people jumped out of the car and ran to the house. They (were) hollering, 'Call 911, call 911,'" said neighbor Mike Chambers.

Chambers and his wife, Carol, said the 22-year-old victim and her 16-year-old sister were inconsolable when they came to the couple's door. The Chambers said the victims were badly burned.

"I had to hold her up because she was screaming and crying," Mike Chambers said of the 22-year-old woman. "She just kept saying 'Oh my God. My baby, I think my baby burned up.'"

Firefighters said the house was completely engulfed in flames.

"There had to be a lot of fire to see it from the roadway, which tells me that building was pretty much 100 percent involved," said Barrow County Fire and Rescue Lt. Scott Dakin.

Carol Chambers said she can't stop thinking about the mother's cries.

"She said she tried to go in and help the baby and she said, 'I couldn't get to it. There was too much fire and too much smoke,'" Carol Chambers said.

Meanwhile, the community is praying for the victims, including the baby's grandfather, who suffered injuries on more than 80 percent of his body after trying repeatedly to rescue the child.